Monday Night Football Fellowship

For the last several weeks I have had the honor and pleasure to lead a men's small group at our home, and let me tell you, it has been nothing short of amazing.  The guys that come are a really awesome group.  The concept of the group is to have a biblical conversation and after, watch Monday Night Football, so we call it the MNFF.  It's a good mix of ages and backgrounds and it just makes for great discussion.  Last night we had the best discussion we have had since the group began.

The discussion revolved around the topic of church, and our idea of what the church looks like, and what it should look like.  How the church is not a building with four walls, but how we are the church, a community of believers, and we are supposed to be engaged in the conversation of Christ.  Sometimes we forget that church is not just a building, it is a body, a family, an army, a flock, and a bride.  My favorite example is an army.  After all, this is a battle we are in.  A spiritual battle.

Eph. 6:12  

12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

We also discussed what I believe has been an aspect of church (the four wall kind and the person kind) that needs serious attention.  I believe if the church is going to thrive and be effective in reaching the lost, it must be theologically relevant and culturally relevant.  For us to reach young adults (there are fewer 18-30 year-olds in church than there ever has been), we MUST be able to speak their language, relate to them on a personal level, and be able to meet them at their felt needs and minister to their true spiritual needs.  This is how we are going to engage in a conversation about Christ with them.  What does this mean?  The method of delivery is constantly changing with the time, but the message stays the same.  Paul was the pioneer of cultural relevancy in meeting people where they were as we see here:

1 Corinthians 9:19-23. 
19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

My prayer is that we get the opportunity this week to encounter and minister to someone in need.  Let's make a point to engage in the conversation!

2 comments:

Kevin Scott Adkins said...

Ironically, we had a church meeting just tonight on how to reach the current culture. Our pastor is very open to changing the method. There are going to be some changes at the Mineral Wells Church of God, and I am very excited. Our pastor has a very deep passion to reach the lost in Mineral Wells, and he will do whatever it takes to "add to the number daily" as referenced in Acts Ch 2. You know what's amazing, there are currently 40-50 churches in MW of all denominations, and only about 12-13 percent of the population actually go to church. That means 85% of the population of MW dont go to church. I am not saying that they are not believers, they just dont belong to a local church. If half of the churches in MW changed their method I believe the percentage would rise greatly. People are hungry for something more, they are trying to fill that God-shaped hole. Sadly, they will be filled somewhere other than the church such as bars, parties, etc. We have to present them with choices and relevance for todays culture, and I am happy to say that the MW Church of God is heading down that road.

Dan Rasmussen said...

Kevin, that is very encouraging to hear about The Church of God! It's wonderful to hear that your pastor sees this need and is willing to do whatever it takes to reach Mineral Wells for Christ. The future IS bright!

Post a Comment